Department of Mathematics of the Pennsylvania State University runs a new
pre-MASS program (PMASS) that provides a one-semester immersive mathematics experience for highly motivated freshman and sophomore students. This program began in spring 2011 and is useful to students who are working on mathematically oriented majors like engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, and IST. Starting in spring 2012 the program is open to Penn State students as well as outside students.
Participants who successfully complete PMASS program are encouraged to apply for the MASS program the following fall. PMASS program is supported by Penn State and the NSF MCTP grant. Successful applicants are awarded the Penn State PMASS Fellowship, which reduces their tuition to the in-state level. Applicants who are US citizens or permanent residents are awarded the NSF PMASS Fellowship in the form of a stipend. Decisions on the awards are made by the Selection Committee based on application materials.
The PMASS program comprises of MATH 311M in the fall, MATH 312H and newly developed courses MATH 310H
Concepts of combinatorics, and MATH 313H
Concepts of geometry in the spring, a weekly seminar and Colloquium. Applications for the spring portion of PMASS from students who were not enrolled in MATH 311M in the fall are also welcome. Successful applicants will be awarded the Fellowships mentioned above.
Schedule for PMASS 2012
- MATH 311M — Concepts of Discrete Mathematics: Introduction to Proof
Instructor: Kirsten Eisentraegen
138 Henderson-South, M W F 10:10 - 11:00
- SPRING 2012
- MATH 310H — Concepts of Combinatorics
Instructor: David Little
113 McAllister, M W F 11:15 AM- 12:05 PM
- MATH 397C (310R) — Recitation
113 McAllister, R 11:15 - 12:05
- MATH 312H — Concepts of Real Analysis
Instructor: Svetlana Katok
113 McAllister, M W F 10:10 AM- 11:00 AM
- MATH 397A (312R)—Recitation
113 McAllister, R 10:10 AM - 11:00 AM
- MATH 313H — Concepts of Geometry
Instructor: Anton Petrunin
113 McAllister, M W F 2:30 PM - 3:20 PM
- MATH 397B (313R)—Recitation
113 McAllister, R 1:25 PM - 2:15 PM
- MATH 314H — PMASS Seminar
Instructor: Svetlana Katok
113 McAllister, T 10:10 AM - 11:00 AM
- MATH 315H — PMASS Colloquium "Initiation in Mathematics"
Instructor: Multiple invited speakers
113 McAllister, R 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM
- Starting in spring 2012 the program is open to Penn State students as well as outside students. Although the PMASS courses are open to all PSU students, the participation in the PMASS program is not. Decisions on the participation and the awards are made by the Selection Committee based on application materials: the academic record and two recommendation letters from faculty.